The UTME Subject Combination for Accounting will be discussed in this article. Accountancy/Accounting is arguably one of the best and most lucrative courses to study in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions today; this field has attained a lot of significance in the professional space over the years. Consequently, lot of students who found themselves in commercial department in their secondary school level these days aspire to get admission into accounting department in any of the tertiary institutions that offer the course in Nigeria. Due to this, they are always eager to know what it entails to study this course.
Getting further in this article, I will be discussing the jamb (Joint Admission and Matriculation Board) subject combination for Accounting in Nigeria.
I shall also give a brief detail of why students should study the course, the requirements needed to apply for the course in the higher institution, the tertiary institutions in the country that offer ‘Accounting’, as well as the categories of Nigerian students that are eligible to apply for this course in any of the tertiary institutions of their choice in the country.
Subject combination for ACCOUNTING
- English Language
- Government or Geography or Any other Social Science Subject
According to JAMB, i will give highlight of the admission requirements to applying for Accounting under the Faculty of Administration, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you need to successfully apply for the course.
The content of the below information contains
- List of Universities in Nigeria that offer Accounting
- UTME Subject Combination For Accounting
- Special requirements (waivers) remarks
- Why you should study Accounting in Nigeria
List of Universities in Nigeria that Offer Accounting as accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
Arranged in Alphabetical order
- Abia State University
- Adekunle Ajasin University
- Ahmadu Bello University
- American University of Nigeria
- Anambra State University
- Bauchi State University
- Benson Idahosa University
- Benue State University
- Caritas University
- Cross River State University of Technology
- Ebonyi State University
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology
- Evangel University
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Federal University, Dutsin-ma
- Federal University, Kashere
- Federal University, Wukari
- Igbinedion University
- Imo State University
- Kwararafa University
- Lead City University
- Madonna University
- McPherson University
- Nasarawa State University
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- Olabisi Onabanjo University
- Osun State University
- Plateau State University
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- University of Abuja
- University of Jos
- University of Lagos
- University of Maiduguri
- University Of Mkar
- University of Port-Harcourt
- University of Uyo
- Usman Dan Fodio University
- Wellspring University
- Western Delta University
UTME Subject Combination
Writing UTME, note that English Language is mandatory for all courses. The other three subjects required studying Accountancy / Accounting under the Faculty of Administration in the institutions listed above are:
Mathematics, Economics plus any Social Science subject.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- OAU requires Principle of Account not Commerce
- BSU requires Economics.
- UNICAL and IGBINEDION accept Commerce in lieu of Economics.
- UNICAL does not accept CRK.
- OOU does not insist on Economics.
- UNILAG accepts Economics, Mathematics and any Science, Social Science or Arts subject.
- AUN requires Mathematics, plus any other subjects from the following; Economics, Geography, Government, History, Literature in English, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Visual Arts, Computer Studies, Information Technology, Civics, Environmental Science, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and French.
- EVANGEL accepts Principles of Accounts in lieu of Mathematics.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates
- To apply for Accountancy / Accounting as a UTME
candidate, you require: Five SSCE credit passes including English Language,
Mathematics, Economics and any other two relevant subjects.
For NBC holders, the other two relevant subjects could be from any of Accounting, Principles of Accounts, Commerce, Office Practice and Secretarial Duties.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks according to JAMB BRONCHURE
- UNIUYO requires credit in Economics.
- UNIPORT does not accept commercial subjects except Financial Accounting or Business.
- UNILAG requires five ‘O’ level credits to include English language, Mathematics, Economics and any other Science, Social Science or Arts subject.
- UNIPORT does not accept Office Practice and Secretarial Studies.
- BIU accepts credit/merit in English language and Mathematics at TC II as ‘O’/level equivalent.
- OOU requires ‘O’ level credits in any 3 of Accounting, Business Methods, Commerce, Economics, Statistics, Government and Geography. IRK/CRK, Yoruba and History.
- PLASU and UNICAL accept Commerce in place of Economics.
- AUN requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes including English Language, Mathematics, and any other three subjects from the following; Economics, Geography, Government, History, Literature in English, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Visual Arts, Computer Studies, Information Technology, Civics, Environmental Science, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and French. AUN does not accept credit passes in the following; Agriculture, Food and Nutrition, Home Economics, Home Craft, Home management, Physical Education, Physical and Health Education, Music, Commerce, Accounting, Financial Accounting, Book keeping, Islamic History, Religious Studies, Tajweed, Library Studies, Diction, Kiswahili, Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Arabic, Turkish, Study skills.
- UNN requires Five O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics Economics and any other two relevant subjects. For NBC holders, the other two relevant subjects could be from any of Accounting, Principles of Accounts,Commerce, Office Practice and Secretarial Duties.
- UNIJOS in addition to the UTME requirements requires two credit passes in any of Business Studies, Commerce, Government, Principle of Accounts, Geography and Biology.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
To apply for Accountancy / Accounting as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Economics, Accounting, Business Management, Government and Geography.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- ABU accepts
1.NCE with passes at merit level in relevant subjects.
2. Two ‘A’ level passes in Accounting or Economics and any one other subject.
3. Foundation of professional examination such as ICAN, ACCA, ICMA.
- ANSU accepts ND/HND LOWER CREDIT or equivalent in relevant disciplines.
- BIU, ADSU, UNIZIK, ABSU, MADONNA and ANSU accept ND/NCE in the relevant fields. UNIZIK and ABSU also accept HND. UNIZIK and ANSU accept ND/HND with at least a lower credit pass.
accepts holders of the following qualifications for year II:-
(a) ND (Upper) in relevant fields or a Degree/HND not relevant to the field for admissions to 200 level;
(b) A Degree/HND relevant to the field for admissions to 300 level;
- IMSU and UNIPORT – No Direct Entry.
- MOUAU, ABSU and DELSU accept holders of the
(a) Complete pass in the Intermediate ICAN Examination or equivalents; and
(b) Pass in final exams of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries (except UNIUYO and DELSU) plus UTME requirements.
- EKSU, DELSU and UNIUYO accept ND/HND in relevant fields not below Upper Credit level. (UNICAL accepts HND at lower credit level plus UTME requirements. In addition, EKSU insists on ‘A’ level passes in Econs but does not accepts IJMB
- UNIZIK does not accept Government or Geography. All Direct Entry candidates must satisfy UTME requirements.
- OAU accepts
1. Candidates with National Diploma (ND) in Accounting with minimum of Upper Credit
2. Advanced Level passes in Economics, Accounting, Business Management, plus Government and Geography or ICAN/ATS I, II and III.
- UNIZIK and OOU require at least two ‘A’ level passes to include Accounting (or Economics for UNIZIK). UNIZIK and ESUTECH require that Direct Entry applicants possess UTME requirements.
- UNN accepts in addition to UTME requirement:
(a) HND/ND/NCE in relevant fields
(b) Complete pass in Intermediate ICAN examination or equivalents.
(c) Pass in final exams of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries.
- EBSU accepts:
1) NCE/ND with passes at Merit level in relevant fields;
2) AAT, Intermediate ACCA or ICAN or ATS final certificate provided such candidate possesses O’ level credit passes in English Language, Economics and Mathematics.
- BIU accept:
1) ND at credit level.
2) A/L passes in Accounting, Economics, Mathematics and Business Management.
- UDUSOK accepts:
(1) Credit in Accounts in lieu of Economics
(2) ND in relevant field not below lower credit
(3) NCE (Business Education).
- IGBINEDION accepts ND (Credit) in related fields.
- NDU – No Direct Entry.
- BSU accepts ND/NCE (lower credit/Merit level) plus five ‘O’ level requirements to include Economics at one sitting.
- OAU accepts ND in Accounting with minimum of upper credit. ICAN/ACCA examination at professional level or ATS (Stage III) examination of ICAN
- UNIABUJA accepts ‘A’ level pass in Geology.
- NSUK accepts ND/HND in relevant field not below lower credit; IJMB in relevant subject not below 10 point; NCE in Business Education
- UNIUYO accepts ND/HND in relevant fields. All Direct Entry candidates must satisfy UTME requirement.
- AUN accepts:
(1) ‘A’ level passes chosen from English Language, Mathematics, Economics, Geography, Government, History, Literature in English, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Visual Arts, Computer Studies, Information Technology, Civics, Environmental Science, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and French.
- UNIUYO accepts ND/HND un relevant fields not below lower credit level. All Direct Entry candidates must satisfy UTME requirement.
- WELLSPRING accepts NCE, ND, HND, IJMB, and NABTEB A/L at merit/lower credit from recognized institutions, as well as foundation/intermediate passes at ICAN, ACCA, and ICMA.
- EVANGEL accepts two A’ level passes to include Economics or ND/NCE in addition to UTME requirements.
- FUAM accepts:
a) Candidates should possess at least two GCE (A’ level) passes or its equivalent in any of the following subject: Economics, Principles of Accounts, Marketing, Business Management, Geography, Government and Commerce plus UTME requirements.
b) Candidates with National Diploma at upper credit in relevant field shall be considered for Direct Entry into year two (2) provided they satisfy the 0’level requirements.
c) Candidates with HND upper credit can be admitted into year three (3) and those with lower credit can be admitted into year 2 provided they satisfy the 0’level requirements.
- MCPHERSON accepts NCE with passes at merit level in relevant subjects, Foundation of professional examinations such as ICAN, ACCA, ICMA or ND/ND Upper Credit in relevant field.
- EBSU accepts
(a) HND, NCE/ND with passes at Merit level in relevant fields.
(b) AAT, Intermediate ACCA or ICAN or ATS final certificate provided such candidate possesses ‘O’ level credit in English Language, Economics and Mathematics. ND must be in Upper credit level.
- UNIJOS accepts:
a) passes at IJMB in at least two subject one which must be in Accounting, Economics or Business Management.
b) ND upper credit in financial studies.
- ESUTECH accepts ND in relevant discipline within the Faculty in to 200 level in addition to UTME requirements.
- UNILAG accepts Very good passes in three (3) JUPEB/A-LEVEL subjects: Economics and any other two (2) subjects from Accounting, Business Studies/Management, Government and Geography.
Note; The above information on jamb subject combination for Accounting can be verified on Jamb Official Website.
Now, let us quickly move on to the topic of Why you should Study Accounting in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions.
Sincerely, by my experience about the lucrative courses to study in Nigeria, I would assure you that Accounting is among the first ten (10). Although studying this course requires a lot of intellectual strength because you have to study extra-ordinarily well.
Even after obtaining your first degree, you still have to go for some professional courses before you could be regard as a Chartered Accountant, but I can confidently tell you that it will really pay heavily at the end. You will be so proud to be an Accountant. Meanwhile, let me briefly highlight few roles of accountant to enable you have idea of what accounting entails.
First, you need to know that a professional who have studied accounting and graduated, probably chattered is called an ACCOUNTANT. So if you studied accounting in the university or polytechnic in Nigeria and graduated, you will be called an accountant in any company or organization you eventually find yourself to work with.
Basically, the role of accountant in any organization or company is briefly as follows
- Planning of Budget
- Plan Tax Liability (taxation),
- Reporting of Internal Control to Management Board
- Maintenance of Account Book
- Auditing and Many more
Please share this update with colleagues, friends and associates who may need it.
For Further Inquiry, kindly drop comment(s) in our comment box, and we shall reply you as soon as possible.