This article shall be emphasizing on Jamb Subject Combination for Fisheries. Fisheries are one of the best courses to study under faculty of agriculture in Nigeria Tertiary Institutions today. Have you been looking for the fisheries requirements for admission into the university? If yes, then you are not alone.
Subject combination for Fisheries
- English Language
- Biology or Agriculture
- Physics or Mathematics
According to JAMB, i will give highlight of the admission requirements to applying for Fisheries under the Faculty of Agriculture in Nigeria, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you need to successfully apply for the course.
List of Universities in Nigeria that offer Fisheries
- Cross River State University of Technology
- Delta State University
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University
- Kebbi State University Of Science And Technology
- Kwara State University
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology
- Nasarawa State University
- Olabisi Onabanjo University
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology
- University of Benin
- University of Calabar
- University of Maiduguri
- University of Port-Harcourt
- Usman Dan Fodio University
Summary of UTME Subject Combination for Fisheries
- Writing UTME, kindly be aware that English Language is compulsory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study Fisheries under the Faculty of Agriculture in the institutions listed above are:
Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and any other Science subject.
Some Universities Special Requirements (One)
(i) IBBU requires Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
(ii) UDUSOK accept Economics or Geography in lieu of Physics/Mathematics.
(iii) UNIPORT requires Mathematics or Physics as the third subject.
(iv) MAUTECH requires Chemistry/Biology,Agriculture Science and Maths/Physics.
(v) UNIOSUN requires Chemistry, Biology/Agriculture and any other science subjects.
(vi) KWASU requires Chemistry,Biology/Agricultural Science and Mathematics/Physics.
(vii)RSUST requires Agricultural Science or Biology.
(viii) FUAM requires Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics or Physics.
(ix) OOU requires Biology/Agricultural Science and any two of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or Economics.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates
- To apply for Fisheries as a UTME candidate, you require: Five SSCE credit passes in Biology/Agric Science, Chemistry, Mathematics and English plus any other Science subject.
Special Requirements (two)
(1) DELSU accepts a pass in English Language.
(2) MOUAU accepts five O’ level credit Passes in not more than two sittings to include: English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, or Agricultural Science and any other science subjects. It also requires at least a Pass in Physics. A Credit in Agricultural Science must be backed up with at least a Pass in Biology.
(3) MAUTECH requires Chemistry, Biology, Agric. Science, and Mathematics/Physics.
(4) UNIUYO and NDU require five ‘O’ level credit passes in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Agricultural Science
(5) DELSU accepts a pass in English Language with credit pass in Mathematics.
(6) UNIBEN accepts Statistics and Further Mathematics. Also requires at least a pass in Physics and a pass in Biology for candidates with a credit pass in Agric. Science.
(7) UNIPORT accepts any of Physics, Geography and Economics.
(8) MAUTECH requires five `O’ Level credit passes to include English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agric. Science, Physics, Geography/ Economics
(9) OOU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Biology or Agricultural Science and any other two subjects.
(10) RSUST requires credits in English Language and Mathematics.
(11)KWASU requires Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Agric. Science, Mathematics and Physics/Geography/Economics.
(12) FUTMINNA accepts any one of Physics, geography, Economics, Home Economics, Food and nutrition as the fifth subject. At least a pass in Physics is required.
(13) KSU requires five credit passes at SSCE and/or GCE O/L in English Language, Chemistry, Biology or Agric. Science, Mathematics, Economics or any Social Science subject and a pass in Physics. A Credit in Agricultural Science must be backed up with at least a pass in Biology.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
- To apply for Fisheries as a Direct Entry
candidate, you require: (i) Two ‘A’ level passes in any of Chem, Bio, Botany,
Zoology, Agricultural Science , Geography,
Mathematics, (Pure and applied) Physics, Geology and Economics.
Some Universities Special Requirements (Three)
(1) FUTMINNA accepts OND/NCE with a minimum of Lower Credit plus UTME requirements.
(2) FUTMINNA accepts OND/NCE credit into 200 level while those with HND may be admitted into 300 level.
(3) UNIMAID accepts ND/NCE/HND and any other similar qualification.
(4) MOUAU requires ‘A’ level pass in Chemistry and
Biology/Botany/Zoology/Agricultural Science, MOUAU also accept OND/HND in the related fields.
(5) DELSU accept OND (Upper credit) in Agric. plus five relevant credit passes at O/level.
(6) MAUTECH requires Chemistry and Biology/Agric.Science/Physics.
(7) Niger Delta University :
a) Receives passes at the Advance Level GCE or
HSC in three of the following subjects: Biology, Zoology, Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Economics or Mathematics; Upper credit
b) OND/ND in Agriculture or Fisheries;
c) Upper or Lower credit HND/NND. In some cases, depending on the candidates CGPA, he may be recommended for admission into the 3rd year.
(8) UNIBEN accepts Merit in ND (Upper credit)/HND (Lower credit) in any one of Agric- Economics, Agric-Ext., and Cooperatives, Fisheries, Forestry and Wildlife Mgt., Geology, Advanced Microbiology, Food and Brewing Sc., Science Lab. Tech. plus UTME requirements. NCE in Agric. Science, Biology, Chemistry or Physics (overall merit pass) plus UTME requirements. Does not accept ‘A’ level pass in Health Science.
(9) EBSU accept NCE with minimum Merit passes in relevant fields or HND and OND with minimum of Upper credit in relevant fields.
(10) IBBU accept OND (Upper credit) in Agric. plus five relevant credit passes at O/level.
(11) RSUST requires HSC/GCE A’ level passes in Chemistry and Biology including English Language, ND/UD (upper credit) in Biology or Agricultural Science for admission to 200 level or HND (credit) in Biology or Agricultural Science for admission to 200 or 300 levels respectively in addition to UTME requirement.
(12) MAUTECH accepts:
1) Two GCE `A’ Level credit passes in Chemistry, Physics and Biology/Agric. Science
2) HND with overall credit in (a) above
3) OND/NCE with credit pass in Biology, Agric. Science or Chemistry
(13)OOU accepts relevant ‘A’ passes, NCE merit passes in two relevant subjects, ND/Certificate of any of the Professional Examination Bodies in Agriculture, Cooperative Business Management, Finance or other related subjects.
(14) UNIOSUN accepts Two ‘A’ level credit passes in chemistry and one from Biology, Agriculture, Physics, Geography and Mathematics.
(15) KSUSTA accepts GCE A’ level/NCE/IJMB or its equivalent in Chemistry and any one of Physics, Mathematics, Biology/Agricultural Science with minimum of score prescribe annually by the University Senate; and O’ level credit passes in Chemistry, Mathematics and English language as core and any two (2) of Physics, Biology/Agricultural Science, Geography, Electrical and Electronics, Technical Drawing. It also accepts ND/HND (at least 2.75 CGPA) in relevant area and O’ level credit passes in Chemistry, Mathematics, and English Language as core and any two (2) of Physics, Biology/Agricultural Science and Geography.
a) National Diploma (ND) (Upper credit), HND (Lower credit) or NCE (credit) in relevant disciplines and JAMB into 200 level.
b) At least two ‘A’ level passes in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Botany, Agricultural Science, Mathematics / Statistics, Geography.
(17) FED-OYE EKITI requires credit pass in
Physics and consideration can be given to candidates with credit pass in Mathematics and pass in Physics.
You may visit the official jamb website for more information on the above stated requirements.
Why you should Study Animal Production in Nigeria Tertiary Institutions
This course exposes you to the way aquaculture is being operated in the agricultural system. Being an expert in fisheries allows you to know how to improve food and nutrition security, improve livelihoods, promote economic growth, and protects the environmental and natural resources and most importantly increase income rate.