In this article, you and I will discuss the subject combination for Food Science and technology, as well as few advantages of studying this course under faculty of agriculture in any of the Nigerian Universities.
Subject combination for Food Science and Technology
- English Language
- Agricultural Science
According to JAMB, i will give highlight of the admission requirements to applying for Food Science and Technology under the Faculty of Agriculture in Nigeria, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you need to successfully apply for the course.
List of Universities in Nigeria that offer Food Science and Technology
- Abia State University
- Bayero University Kano
- Bells University of Technology
- Bowen University
- Crawford University
- Ebonyi State University
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Federal University of Technology Akure
- Federal University of Technology Minna
- Federal University, Oye-ekiti
- Federal University, Wukari
- Imo State University
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University
- Kano University Of Science And Technology
- kogi State University
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- University of Calabar
- University Of Mkar
- University of Nigeria
- University of Uyo
JAMB UTME Subject Combination
- Writing UTME, kindly be aware that English Language is compulsory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study Food Science and Technology under the Faculty of Agriculture in the institutions listed above are:
Chemistry, Mathematics/ Physics and Agric Science.
Some Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
(1) ESUT and FUTO accept Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology or Physics.
(2) FUTO does not accept Agric. Science as UTME subject combination.
(3) FUTA requires English Language, Chemistry, Physics and any of Mathematics, Biology or Agricultural Science.
(4) FED-OYEEKITI and UNN accept Biology in lieu of Agric. Sci.
(5) BELLS accept Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Mathematics
(6) UNIZIK and MAUTECH require Chemistry, Mathematics/ Physics, Biology/ Agric. Science
(7) UNAAB requires Chemistry, Biology and Physics or Mathematics.
(8)EBSU requires Chemistry,Mathematics,Physics/Agricultural Science.
(9) UNICAL requires Chemistry, Physics and Biology/Agricultural Science.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates
- To apply for Food Science and Technology as a UTME candidate, you require: Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agric, Science, Physics, Basic Catering and Food Services, Bakery and Confectionaries, Hotel and Catering Crafty course (Cookery), Hotel and Catering Craft Course (Food /Drinks Services) and Basic Electricity.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
(1) FUTO and UNIMAID accept a pass in English Language.
(2) UNIMAID accepts a pass in Mathematics. ESUT also accepts a pass in Physics.
(3) UNN requires credits in five (5) subjects at
not more than two sittings in the Senior School Certificate Examination or its equivalent. The subjects must include: English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Biology (Botany or Zoology) or Agricultural Science and any
other science subject.
(4) FUAM accepts Physics, Biology or Agric. Science.
(5) IMSU accepts a credit pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
(6) FUTMINNA accepts any one of Physics, geography, Economics, Home Economics, Food and nutrition as the fifth subject. At least a pass in Physics is required.
(7) EKSU and EBSU require five Credit passes to include Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology or Agric. Science, Physics and English Language.
(8) BELLS, ESUT and FUTO accept a pass in Physics
(9) UNILORIN requires a pass grade in Physics. UNILORIN requires at least a pass in Biology for credit pass in Agric. Science or Food and Nutrition.
(10) UNICAL, FED-OYEEKITI and ABSU require five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agric. Science and Physics.
(11) MOUAU requires five O level credit passes in not more two sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
(12) UNNAB and FUTA require five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Agricultural Science. UNAAB does not accept Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
(13) FUAM requires Five (5) SSC/WASC/GCE/NECO `O’ level or equivalent Credit
passes (at not more than two sittings) categorized as follows:-
a) 5 credit passes in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology or Agricultural Science and English Language.
(14) FED-WUKARI requires five O’ level credit Passes in not more than two sittings to include: English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, or Agricultural Science and any of Physics, Geography and Economics.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
- To apply for Food Science and Technology as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: Two ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and Biology/Physics/Agric Science/Botany/Zoology.
Other Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- IMSU accepts OND/NCE/HND in Agriculture, Animal Health, Food Science, Food Science and Technology and Certificate of Registered Nurse (NRN) into 200 levels.
- ABSU and MAUTECH accept OND in Food Science and Technology.
- EBSU accepts:
a) EBSU accept NCE with minimum Merit passes in relevant fields.
b) HND and OND with minimum of Upper credit in relevant fields.
- FUTMINNA accepts OND lower credit/NCE merit in the Agricultural components of choice, and a minimum of merit in the other component; or a HND with a minimum of lower credit to be admitted into 300 level.
- FUTA accepts GCE (Advanced Level) or equivalent in at least two Science subjects including Biology or Agricultural Science or a National Diploma in Food Science and Technology with a minimum of Upper Credit from a recognized institution.
- MOUAU requires ‘A’ level pass in Chemistry and
- KUST accepts NCE/HND (Merit) ND in Chemistry/Biology (Upper credit)/any relevant qualification.
- UNIMAID, MAUTECH accept ND/HND in Food Science and Technology.
- UNN accepts for the 4-year (Direct entry) B.Sc. programme, passes at principal level in the Higher School Certificate or equivalent in GCE Advanced Level in any two of the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology (Botany or Zoology), Agricultural Science, Physics, Mathematics.
- RSUST requires three (3) A’ level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics plus UTME requirements. Accepts ND/UD (Upper) or HND for admissions into 200 level in relevant disciplines or Bachelor’s degree in any other Science/ Technology discipline plus UTME requirements.
- UNILORIN requires at least a pass grade in
Physics and also requires at least a pass in Biology for credit pass in Agric Science or Food and Nutrition.
- BELLS accept OND (Upper Credit) in Food Science and Technology/Science Laboratory Technology with Biology/Virology/Chemistry/Biochemistry options.
- MAUTECH accepts:
a) A Level passes in two of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics / English /Agric. Science.
b) OND/HND in Food Science and Technology may be considered for 200 and 300 level.
- UNAAB accepts upper credit in ND and HND in Food Science and Technology, Agricultural Programs from recognized institutions in addition to UTME requirements.
- FUAM accepts UTME requirements plus GCE/HSC `A’ level passes in Physics and any one of Chemistry, Mathematics, Botany, Zoology or Biology may be admitted to 200 level. Upper/Lower credit HND holders in relevant disciplines who posses the new UME requirement may be admitted to 300 level. Upper credit OND holders in relevant disciplines who possess the UTME requirements may be admitted to 200 level. Credit or higher Level NCE holders in relevant disciplines who possess the UTME requirements may be admitted to 200 level.
- EBSU requires H.SC or GCE ‘A’ Level in at least two relevant subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) obtained at one sitting and/or OND or its equivalent.
- FED-OYEEKITI requires two A’ level passes in an
any of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or Biology or ND in Food Science and
Technology, Science laboratory Technology
(Food Science Option) with minimum of Upper credit.
- KUST accepts:
a) ND in Microbiology and Biochemistry with a minimum of Upper Credit.
b) NCE Double major in related area of study with aggregates of eight (8) points.
- University of Calabar (UNICAL) – In addition to the basic Departmental requirements, candidates must have a minimum of Upper Credit in ND in Food Science and Technology or GCE A’ level or its equivalent in at least two of Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Mathematics.
You may visit the official jamb website for more information on the jamb subject combination for Food Science and Technology stated above.
Why you should Study Food Science and Technology in Nigeria Tertiary Institution
After you have studied food science & technology and graduated from the university, you will be regard as food scientist and food technologist. Basically as a professional in this field, your role is to making research in the food processing to the development and improvement of food processing.
The function of a food scientist and technologist also extends to studying the basic elements of food. As a food scientist, you can be employed in a company/organization as Quality assurance, manager, Chef, Marketing Manager, Procurement/purchasing manager and many more. In short, this course has a lot of employment opportunities after you have graduated.