In this article, you and I will be discussing majorly on jamb Subject Combination for forestry. But before we proceed on it, I want you to know that a lot of Nigerian Students have developed interest in studying FORESTRY under faculty of agriculture in Nigeria.
This course has attracted a lot of significance due to the fact that every nation all over the world could only survive with good forestation for the sustainability of the environmental elements.
Subject combination for Forestry;
- English Language
- Biology or Agriculture
- Physics or Mathematics
According to JAMB, i will give highlight of the admission requirements to applying for Forestry under the Faculty of Agriculture in Nigeria, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you need to successfully apply for the course.
Universities in Nigeria that Offer Forestry
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Kebbi State University Of Science And Technology
Summary of UTME Subject Combination Forestry
- Writing UTME, be aware that English Language is compulsory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study Forestry under the Faculty of Agriculture in the institutions listed above are:
Chemistry, Biology or Agriculture and Physics or Mathematics.
Some Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- FUAM requires Chemistry, Biology and any other subject from Physics, Geography, Economics etc.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates
- To apply for Forestry as a UTME candidate, you are required to have : Five SSCE credit passes in English, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology and one of Physics, Economics, Further Mathematics and Statistics.
Some Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- FUAM requires a minimum of Five `O’ Level credits passes in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and any of Physics, Geography, Economics and Statistics. A credit in Physics can be substituted for Mathematics and vice versa. However, the candidate is expected to have a minimum of pass in the other subject to benefit from the waiver.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
- To apply for Forestry as a Direct Entry candidate, you are required to posses: Two ’A’ level passes in Chemistry and Biology or Agric Science or Zoology or Botany.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- FUAM accepts:
1) Two A level passes in any of Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Mathematics, Agric. Science, Geology,(Pure and Applied) Physics, Economics.
2) NCE (Agriculture), OND/HND (Forestry, Agriculture and any other Biological Science (Zoology and Botany). HND candidates may be admitted for 300 level while OND/NCE candidates for 200 level.
- KSUSTA accepts GCE A’ level/NCE/IJMB or its equivalent in Chemistry and any one of Physics, Mathematics, Biology/Agricultural Science with minimum of score prescribe annually by the University Senate; and O’ level credit passes in Chemistry, Mathematics and English language as core and any two (2) of Physics, Biology/Agricultural Science, Geography, Electrical and Electronics, Technical Drawing. It also accepts ND/HND (at least 2.75 CGPA) in relevant area and O’ level credit passes in Chemistry, Mathematics, and English Language as core and any two (2) of Physics, Biology/Agricultural Science and Geography.
You may confirm the above information on jamb subject combination for Forestry on the official Jamb Website
Why Study Forestry in Nigeria Tertiary Institutions;
First, let me notify you that Forestry as a course in the country can be currently studied in any of the Nigerian universities that offer the course; no polytechnic school in Nigeria is offering the course yet. As a polytechnic student, for now, the only way you could get admission into a university that offer Forestry for now is through Direct Entry means. I want to believe you are cleared enough as detailed explanation had already been given through the information above concerning admission requirements.
According to Wikipedia. Forestry can be described as the science and craft of managing, creating, conserving, using and repairing of forests, woodlands and associated resources for human and environmental advantages.
After you have studied and graduated from the university, you become a certified forestry graduate, you will be known as expert in this field.
Therefore, being forestry professional, you can be hired by agricultural firms for the following position’
- Agricultural Consultant – To be eligible for this, you must have gathered enough experience in the forestry field under agriculture.
- Agricultural advancing and investment lead – This is one of the great positions that will be available for you as a graduate of forestry when you are applying for a leadership position as an agricultural expert, this area also improve your experience in forestry and also exposes you to a lot of advanced knowledge of the field that you never knew before. You get to interact professionally with both foreign and domestic experts in this particular field of agriculture
- A fleet officer – Although as a forest agriculturist, fleet officer tends to dive a way a little bit from agriculture, but it is logically needed in the agricultural area.
The roles of a fleet officer includes;
- Overseeing of companies vehicles available for transportation of goods and services.
- Perform vehicle registration
- Increase the profitability and efficiency through proper management of the vehicles used by the company and other drivers that operates the vehicles.
- An agricultural science teacher – a forest research expert can be gainfully employed by universities or any other academic institutions that has vacancy for agricultural science teacher. They are considered to be an expert in agriculture because during their period of learning these courses at the time of their undergraduate or postgraduate study time, they must have acquired some very useful skills in the field of agriculture.
Also academic institutions consider employing them because they believe they can potentially train students in this field through their excellent experiences.
As you can see, studying forestry is very lucrative, I know it would also interest you to know that the fact that you have studied this course in Nigeria will not prevent you from securing employment in the international space. The course is so beneficial to the environment and very competitive; also provide chances for diverse global economic opportunities.
Note that if you wish to be an expert in this area, you have to study excellently well so that you can stand out in this field and become competitive among colleagues.
If you find this information helpful, kindly share with friends and associates around you who may need it.