We shall be discussing the Jamb Subject Combination for History and International Studies as well as the benefits attached to why you should study this course under faculty of art in Nigeria in this article.
For every nation to grow effectively, there must be a constant reflection on history, relatively any nation that does not look back on history is likely not to grow as expected and this might consequently affect its economy in an unwanted manner. Also, the introduction of the ‘Concept of International Studies’ has allowed a lot of nations to get themselves globally competitive.
Overtime, the reasons stated above have encouraged a lot of students in Nigeria to frequently intend to seek admission into tertiary institutions offering this course in the country.
Below is the Jamb subject combination for History and International Studies;
- English Language
- Two other Subject from Art and Social Science
According to JAMB, i will give highlight of the admission requirements to applying for History and International Studies under the Faculty of Art in Nigeria, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you need to successfully apply for the course.
Universities in Nigeria that Offer History and International Studies;
- Abia State University
- Adekunle Ajasin University
- Adeleke University
- Afe Babalola University
- Ajayi Crowther University
- Akwa Ibom State University
- Ambrose Alli University
- Babcock University
- Bowen University
- Delta State University
- Ekiti State University
- Federal University Gashua
- Federal University Gusau
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi
- Godfrey Okoye University
- Hezekiah University
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University
- Imo State University
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University
- kogi State University
- Lagos State University
- Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State
- Northwest University, Kano
- Osun State University
- Plateau State University
- Renaissance University
- Ritman University
- Salem University
- Taraba State University
- University of Calabar
- University of Ilorin
- University of Jos
- University of Uyo
Subject Combination for History and International Studies
- Writing UTME, note that English Language is mandatory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study History and International Studies under the Faculty of Arts and Humanities in the institutions listed above are:
History/Govt and any other two subjects from Arts and Social Science.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates
- To apply for History and International Studies as a UTME candidate, you require: Five SSCE credit passes including English Language, Geography, Government/History.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- KSU, DELSU and UNIUYO credit pass in Geography is not compulsory but accepts any three other Arts or Social Science subjects.
- AAU requires History and at least a pass in Science subject.
- PLSU, UNIOSUN and UNIJOS – credit in Geography is not compulsory.
- ABU and AJAYI require credit passes must include English Language, History or Government, and any other three subjects Arts or Social Science subjects. Geography is not compulsory.
- EKSU requires History, one Arts and any other subject.
- UNIOSUN requires Five ‘O’ Level Credit passes to include English language, Government or History or any other social sciences and Arts subjects in SSCE.
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU) requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in Government or History and any other Arts or Social Science subjects including a pass in Mathematics.
- University of Ilorin (UNIILORIN) requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, History/Govt. plus any three others Arts or Social Science subjects.
- UNIUYO requires credit passes in History or Government, English Language and any two of the following: Literature, Economics, Geography and French.
- JSU – A credit pass in Geography shall not be compulsory but accepts any three Arts or Social Science subjects.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
- To apply for History and International Studies as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: (i) Two ‘A’ level passes/NCE (Upper Credit) in History, Govt and any other related subject. Some Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- UNICAL accepts NCE (credit) in History/Government/Social Studies. Does not accept IJMB.
- AJAYI accepts NCE/ND (merit passes in History and Government.
- LASU accepts:
(1) ‘A’ Level Passes in History/Government OR NCE (Merit Passes) in History/Government, Political Science, Social Studies, ND in a Related Discipline (Upper Credit), two Passes at the GCE/HSC ‘A’ Level, Five ‘O’ Level credit Passes in other subjects at the SSCE or its equivalent which must include History or Government.
(2) ND (Upper Credit ) in a related discipline.
- AJAYI accepts two ‘A’ level passes (or equivalents) in History or Government plus three other ‘O’ level credit passes.
- LASU requires five (5) ‘O’ Level Credit Passes in SSCE/NECO OR GCE at not more than two sittings to include: English Language and History or Government plus a good performance in the UTME which must include English, History or Government.
- EKSU requires another Art subject apart from History/Government.
- UNIOSUN requires ‘A’ level passes in History or Government. Accepts NCE, one of which must be History combination.
- UNILORIN accepts:
1) Government in lieu of History.
2) NCE (Merit Pass) History/Government Major.
- UNIUYO accepts:
1. Passes in two A Level subjects including History or Government.
2. NCE with merits in 3 subjects including History or Government.
You may confirm the above information on jamb subject combination for History and International Studies on the official Jamb Website
What are the Benefits of Studying History and International Studies in Nigeria Tertiary Institutions?
There are several benefits of studying History and International Studies, but before I give further explanation on that, first. Let me notify you that History and International Studies as a course in the country can be currently studied in any of the Nigeria universities that offer the course; no polytechnic school in Nigeria is offering the course yet.
As a polytechnic student, for now, the only way you could get admission into a university that offer History and International Studies for now is through Direct Entry means. I want to believe you are cleared enough as detailed explanation had already been given through the information above concerning admission requirements.
You may also decide to go for a postgraduate course in this field after you have completed your first degree.
Having a postgraduate certificate in the area of History and International Studies will improve your chances of becoming more skillful and knowledgeable in this profession, if you eventually work with organizations, having obtained a pgd will also allow you to be given more priority in position at your work place beyond those that have just first degree alone.
What are the Roles of expert in History and International Studies in Nigeria?
As an Expert in this field, your functions are as follows;
- On the part of History, you are to interact locally and internationally to study the past historical events and have accurate information about it to interpret the present and to predict the future.
- On the part of International studies, based on the reason for the introduction of this course to Nigerian Universities Syllabuses (As stated above), your function is to study the economic, social, political and cultural issues that dominate the international agenda.
- You should study the reflection of the general patterns of global interconnections and globalization.
I believe this article on the jamb subject combination for History and International Studies in Nigeria will be of help to you and someone out there.
Please share using the share buttons below.