In this article, you and I will be discussing the Jamb Subject Combination for Home Science. But before I proceed, let me ask you a question, did you know that Home Science as a course in the university is what you used to all ‘Home Economics in your secondary school days?. Recently I listened to some students arguing on whether the course is what they usually call home economics in the secondary school or not.
Anyways if you are among those that are quite confused about the name given for this course, I want to tell you that you are on the right track, Naija School Admission confirms to you that Home Science is same as Home Economics.
What is Home Science?
According to Wikipedia, home science is a field of study that deals with the relationship between individuals, families, communities, and the environment that they live in. Home science/economics courses are offered not only in Nigeria, but internationally across multiple levels of Education.
Subject combination for Home Science;
- English Language
- Biology or Agriculture
- Physics or Mathematics
According to JAMB, i will give highlight of the admission requirements to applying for Home Science under the Faculty of Agriculture in Nigeria, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you need to successfully apply for the course.
Universities in Nigeria that Offer Home Science;
- kogi State University
- University of Nigeria
Summary of UTME Subject Combination for Home Science
- Writing UTME, note that English Language is compulsory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study Home Science under the Faculty of Agriculture in the institutions listed above are:
Chemistry, Biology or Agriculture and Mathematics or Physics.
Some Nigeria Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- UNN requires Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, Food and Nutrition and one of Physics/Mathematics, Economics or Geography.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates
- To apply for Home Science as a UTME candidate, you are required to possess: Five SSCE credit passes including Chemistry, Biology/ Agricultural Science, Mathematics and at least a pass in English and Physics. General Metal Work, General Wood Work, Building/Engineering Drawing, Furniture Design and Construction, Upholstery Design and Construction, Spray Painting and Period Furniture, Spinning, Weaving, Surface Design and Printing, Bleaching, Dyeing and Finishing and Basic Electricity.
Other Nigeria Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
(1) University of Nigeria (UNN) In addition to the UTME/General University Entry requirements, a candidate must obtain credit passes in Chemistry, Biology or Food and Nutrition or Agricultural Science.
(2) Ekiti State University (EKSU requires credit passes at SSCE and/or GCE O/L in English Language, Chemistry, Biology or Agric. Science, Mathematics, Nutrition/Home Economics and at least a pass in Physics.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
- To apply for Home Science as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: Two ‘A’ level passes or equivalents in Chemistry and Biology/Botany/Agric Science/ Economics/ Physics /Mathematics/Geography/Accounting.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- UNN accepts:
1) Two ‘A’ level passes (London/Cambridge/ Cameroon) (in Chemistry and any of Biology/Botany/Zoology/Agricultural Science. Economics, Physics Geography/Geology, Mathematics (Pure and Applied) in addition to UTME entry requirements.
2) OND/NCE/HND and Degree holders in Agricultural Science/Animal Health and related fields with a minimum of Lower Credit (Merit) in addition to UTME Entry requirements.
You may confirm the above information on jamb subject combination for Home Science on the official Jamb Website
Why Study Home Science in Nigeria Tertiary Institutions;
First, let me be sincere to you that the information available about the tertiary institutions that offer forestry in Nigeria concerning the subject combination for Home Science is currently about the Nigerian universities alone. Although other institutions that are not degree awarding institution like Polytechnics, and other diploma awarding schools or perhaps NCEs also give admissions for this course, but have different names or title for the discipline.
Nonetheless if you happen to be polytechnic students who intend to go to the University, you are advice to obtain a direct entry form and gently secure admission.
Now let us move on to the discussion on the importance of studying home science in tertiary and your role after you have graduated from the university as an home scientist.
Fundamentally, you should know that the moment you graduate from the university and you have been certified and obtained your degree, people will start tagging you an ‘Home Scientist’ because it is believed that for you to have attended a university and certified, you must have learnt almost all the basic skills required to become a professional in the field of home science. Although a lot of people tend to assume that being an expert in home science is simply just to perform domestic duties, but they do not get it right most of the time. This will make me extend the content of this article highlighting your role as an home scientist.
Your Function as a home scientist;
Your role as a home scientist is to ensure the height of satisfaction for yourself and family members through scientific and efficient use of your skills, resources and knowledge. The function of the scientist also extends to integrating the application of various humanities and sciences to improve family nutrition, management of resource and child development as well as human environment.
Also the career objectives for an home scientist is well extensive and good with range of job opportunities. A degree holder in home science in Nigeria and abroad can secure employment globally at colleges, welfare organizations, schools, dietetics and nutrition and so on. This profession generally opens door for diverse global economic opportunities.
Virtually every home needs a home scientist in order to ensure perfect domestication and healthy environment. Though, it is not to say that a home cannot exist in a good manner without an home scientist, but it will certainly exist more perfect when a home scientist is involved.
I want to believe this article on the jamb subject combination for home science in Nigeria will be of help to you and someone out there.
If you find this helpful, kindly share with friends and associates who may need it.