We shall be discussing the jamb subject combination for marketing in Nigeria. I shall also give a brief detail of why students should study MARKETING as a course, the requirements needed to apply for the course in the higher institution, the tertiary institutions in the country that offer ‘marketing’, as well as the categories of Nigerian students that are eligible to apply for this course in any of the tertiary institutions of their choice.
subject combination for marketing
- English Language
- One other relevant subject
We have brought to you the admission requirements to applying for MARKETING under the Faculty of Administration in Nigeria. You will see the JAMB subject combination needed to apply for the course, SSCE (O level) requirements for UTME candidates, requirements such A’level, ND (National Diploma), HND (Higher National Diploma), NCE (National Certificate for Education), Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information needed to successfully apply for the course.
List of Universities in Nigeria that Offer Marketing (Arranged in Alphabetical Order)
- Abia State University
- Anambra State University
- Caritas University
- Covenant University
- Cross River State University of Technology
- Delta State University
- Ebonyi State University
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology
- Evangel University
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Imo State University
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
- Madonna University
- McPherson University
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- University of Ilorin
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Nigeria (UNN)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
- Western Delta University
Summary of UTME Subject Combination for Marketing:
- Writing UTME, English Language is compulsory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study Marketing under the Faculty of Administration in the institutions listed above are:
Mathematics, Economics plus one other relevant Subject.
Some Nigerian Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks:
- LAUTECH requires any other two science subjects from Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Agric. Science
- ANSU, UNN and UNIUYO – Same as in Banking and Finance.
- UNIZIK- Economics is not compulsory.
- ESUT requires Economics and Commerce.
- UNICAL does not accept CRK.
- EVANGEL accepts Mathematics or Economics plus any two relevant Arts or Social Science subjects.
- UNIJOS requires Mathematics and any other two (2) subjects from Principles of Accounts, Commerce, Business Methods, Statistics, Government or Economics.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates:
To apply for Marketing as a UTME candidate, you are required to have: Five SSCE credit passes including English Language, Mathematics and any 3 relevant subjects.
Other Universities Special Requirements:
- UNIPORT, MOUAU and IMSU require ‘O’ level credit in Economics.
- UNIZIK requires Mathematics, Economics plus any other Arts/Social Science subject.
- ESUT requires five credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Economics and two other subjects at not more than two sittings.
- UNIPORT does not accept commercial subjects.
- UNIJOS requires credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and any three subjects from Principles of Accounts, Commerce, Business Methods, Statistics, Government or Economics.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates:
- To apply for Marketing as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Accounting, Management, Government and Geography.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks for UTME & Direct entry candidates:
- IMSU and UNIPORT – No Direct Entry.
- ESUT and ANSU accept ND (lower credit) and also require Direct Entry applicants to possess UTME requirements.
- DELSU accepts ND in Banking/Finance with a minimum of ‘B’ overall average while EVANGEL requires two A’ level passes in Economics and any of Science, Social Science or Management subjects plus O’level requirements.
- FUAM accepts:
1. Candidates should posses at least two GCE (A’ level) passes or its equivalent in any of the following subject: Economics, Principles of Accounts, Marketing, Business Management, Geography, Government and Commerce plus UTME requirements.
2. Candidates with National Diploma at upper credit in relevant field shall be considered for Direct Entry into year two (2) provided they satisfy the 0’level requirements.
3. Candidates with HND upper credit can be admitted into year three (3) and those with lower credit can be admitted into year 2 provided they satisfy the 0’level requirements.
- RSUST accepts holders of the following qualifications for year II:-
1. ND (Upper) in relevant fields or a Degree/HND not relevant to the field for admissions to 200 level;
2. A Degree/HND relevant to the field for admissions to 300 level.
- UNN accepts in addition to UTME requirement:
1. HND/ND/NCE in relevant fields.
2. Complete pass in Intermediate ICAN examination or equivalents.
3. Pass in final exams of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries.
- ABSU requires ‘A’ level Mathematics.
- UNIPORT No Direct Entry.
- UNIUYO accepts ND/HND in relevant fields not below lower credit level and a complete pass in the intermediate examination of ICAN/ACIB.
- EBSU accepts HND, NCE/ND pass at Merit level in relevant fields in addition to ‘O’ level requirement. ND must be in Upper Credit level.
- MCPHERSON accepts NCE with passes at merit level in relevant subjects, Foundation of professional examinations such as ICAN, ACCA, ICMA or ND/ND Upper Credit in relevant field.
- LAUTECH requires ‘A’ level passes in Economics/Business Management, Chemistry, Physics, Geography and Mathematics.
- UNIJOS accepts:
1) Passes at Advanced Level GCE, IJMB or an approved equivalent examination in Accounting, Business Management or Economics.
2) Holders of the following qualifications may also be considered for admission into 200 level: National Diploma (ND) in Accounting, Financial Studies, Business Administration, Banking and Finance, Insurance or any other business course with a pass at not less than Lower Credit from any recognized Institutions (Polytechnic, Technical Institutions, e.t.c.).
Why Study Marketing in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions?
The continual development in the technology age has really made marketing a very lucrative course to study in any of the Nigerian Tertiary Institutions (Polytechnics or Universities). Nowadays, almost every field needs marketing through online and offline advertisement. However the most common means of marketing this days is by the usage of social media networks, this networks enable one to showcase business very fast.
Gone are those days when people mount what they sell and carry them about with the aid of reaching the public in a manual means. Now, the concept of digital marketing has made it very easy to market your product locally and internationally, for instance, if you start a small scale business today, let’s say you sell shoes and you intend to publicize your products in Nigeria to people who live in the United State of America (USA), you don’t have to give a much worry, just visit one of the media platforms like google, bing or other networks, pay for your advert (most time at cheap rate) and request for your product to reach the category of people you desire, and it will get to them in few minutes. Consequently you start getting domestic and foreign clients and see your business boost in a twinkle of an eye.
Basically, the analysis of marketing products given above describes the professional function of a marketer, when you render these services to people as a marketer and they see good turn out, they will pay you in multiple folds and you will start realizing the lucratively of studying marketing. This course is obviously durable.