In this article, you and I will be discussing the Jamb Subject Combination for Nutrition and Dietetics as well as the benefits attached to why you should study this course under faculty of agriculture in Nigeria.
This particular course remains relevant in our day to day life because it has to do with our diets, which is majorly concerned about the kind of food we take in, or let me say generally all we consume. As the name implies, ‘Nutrition and Dietetics’, its significance extends to the science of how food and nutrition functionally affects human health.
Basically, the study area of dietetics in Nigeria Tertiary Institution has a very high effect on public health and commitment to educating all Nigerians regarding the benefits of making proper choices of dietary.
Subject combination for Nutrition and Dietetics;
- English Language
- Biology or Agriculture
- Physics or Mathematics
According to JAMB, i will give highlight of the admission requirements to applying for Home Science under the Faculty of Agriculture in Nigeria, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you need to successfully apply for the course.
List of Universities in Nigeria that Offer Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bells University of Technology
- Imo State University
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
- Nasarawa State University
- University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- University of Nigeria
- Wesley University Of Science And Technology
UTME Subject Combination
- Writing UTME, kindly be aware that English Language is compulsory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study Nutrition and Dietetics under the Faculty of Agriculture in the institutions listed above are:
Chemistry, Biology/Agriculture and Mathematics/Physics.
Some Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- UNAAB requires Chemistry, Biology and Physics/Mathematics.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates
- To apply for Nutrition and Dietetics as a UTME candidate, you require: Five SSCE credit passes in Chemistry, Biology/Agric. Science, Mathematics, Physics and English Language.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- IMSU accepts Biology/Agric Science/Home Economics, Physics/Maths, Chemistry and a pass in English Language
- UNN in addition to the UTME/general
University entry requirements, Credit passes in Chemistry, Biology or Food and Nutrition or Agricultural Science and Physics or Mathematics.
- MOUAU requires five O level credit passes in not more two sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- BELLS requires a minimum of pass in Physics
- UNAAB does not accept Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
- To apply for Nutrition and Dietetics as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: Two ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry, Biology and Agric Science, or Physics.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- UNN accepts:
1) Passes at the Principal levels in the Higher School Certificate Examination or equivalent passes at GCE Advanced Level in two of the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology (Botany and/or Zoology), Agricultural Science, Physics or Mathematics.
2) OND, NCE, HND in Nutrition in and Dietetics/Home Economics/Agricultural Science, Food Science plus UTME entry requirements into 2 or 3 hundred levels.
3) Certificate in Nursing /NCE in relevant subjects. Candidate must also satisfy the UTME entry requirement.
- MOUAU requires ‘A’ level pass in Chemistry and
Biology/Botany/Zoology/Agricultural Science and also accepts
SRN/NRN or NCE with Distinction.
- UNAAB accepts:
1) NCE or ND (Upper Credit) in Nutrition and Dietetics, Food Science, Home Economics from a recognized institution plus UTME entry requirements into 200 level.
2) Certificate of Registered Nurse of Nigeria plus UTME requirement.
You may confirm the above information on jamb subject combination for Home Science on the official Jamb Website
Benefits of Studying Nutrition and Dietetics in Nigeria Tertiary Institutions;
There are several benefits of studying Nutrition and Dietetics, but before I give further explanation on that, first. Let me notify you that Nutrition and Dietetics as a course in the country can be currently studied in any of the Nigeria universities that offer the course; no polytechnic school in Nigeria is offering the course yet. As a polytechnic student, for now, the only way you could get admission into a university that offer Nutrition and Dietetics for now is through Direct Entry means. I want to believe you are cleared enough as detailed explanation had already been given through the information above concerning admission requirements.
You may also decide to go for a postgraduate course in this field after you have completed your first degree.
Having a postgraduate certificate in the area of Nutrition or Dietetics will improve your chances of becoming more skillful and knowledgeable in this profession, if you eventually work with organizations, having obtained a pgd will also allow you to be given more priority in position at your work place beyond those that have just first degree alone.
As discussed earlier. Dietetics is simply define as the science of how food and nutrition affects human health, the study functionally deals with monitoring and supervising the diet for patients across hospitals, clinics, health centers with some particular medical conditions like gastro-intestinal disorders and food allergies.
After you have studied and graduated from the university and obtained a degree accordingly, you become a certified Nutritionist and Dietician, you will be known as expert in this field. Also, it is important for you to note that ‘Dietitian positions are of different types namely;
- Community Dietitians
- Clinical Dieticians
- Management Dieticians and many more
Therefore, being a professional in this area in Nigeria, your major functions and responsibilities are as follows as related to their career option and focus areas.
- Clinical Management in food service system
- Provision food nutrition services in hospitals/clinics
- Nutrition counseling in fitness club and public health agencies
- Food Industry
- Public Health Nutrition
- Health Promotion/Corporate wellness etc.
In short, their role is very essential in the Nigerian Society to improve the health situations and positions in the nation. Any nation that is not maintaining proper diets and nutrition is likely not to develop as desired. Nutritionist and Dieticians are the pillars that hold the stem of every environment through their provision of health and safety care.
I want to believe this article on the jamb subject combination for Nutrition and Dietetics in Nigeria will be of help to you and someone out there.
If you find this helpful, kindly share with friends and associates who may need it. See NAIJA SCHOOL ADMISSION.