In this article, you and I will be discussing the Jamb Subject Combination for Soil Science as well as the benefits attached to why you should study this course under faculty of agriculture in Nigeria.
Soil as a mixture of organic materials, minerals, water, and air is very important and dynamic natural resources that every human being depends on. Human existence is relatively dependent on soil. Every day, we perform various operations on soil such as;
- We walk on the soil
- We build house/structures with it and on it
- Human being depends on it to grow food and clothing
- We filter water from the soil
Obviously, soil is very important to life, which has come to the reason for the introduction of Soil Science to Nigeria Tertiary Institutions in order to ensure proper management and utilization of soil and fundamentally to improve this area of specialization by building experts that will become professional soil scientists.
Meanwhile, a lot of Nigeria students who are interested in this particular area under the field of agriculture are interested in knowing the requirements for studying soil science in the higher institutions of learning.
Jamb subject combination for Soil Science;
- English Language
- Biology or Agriculture
- Physics or Mathematics
According to JAMB, i will give highlight of the admission requirements to applying for Soil Science under the Faculty of Agriculture in Nigeria, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you need to successfully apply for the course.
Universities in Nigeria that Offer Soil Science (Both Privates and Publics)
- Abia State University
- Akwa Ibom State University
- Ambrose Alli University
- Anambra State University
- Delta State University
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Federal University of Technology Minna
- Imo State University
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- Salem University
- University of Benin
- University of Calabar
- University of Nigeria
- University of Uyo
Summary of UTME Subject Combination for Soil Science
- Writing UTME, be aware that English Language is compulsory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study Soil Science under the Faculty of Agriculture in the institutions listed above are:
Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science plus Mathematics or Physics.
Some Universities Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- SALEM requires Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and Physics.
O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates
- To apply for Soil Science as a UTME candidate, you require: Five SSCE credit passes in English Language Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and any other Science subject.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- RSUST and MAUTECH require at least a pass in Physics.
- RSUST requires credit passes in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- UNICAL accepts Geography and Economics and a credit pass in Physics.
- IMSU accepts a pass in English Language.
- ABSU require five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science.
- FUTO requires five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and Economics. It accepts a Pass in Physics in not more than two sittings.
- MOUAU requires five ‘O’ level credit
passes in not more than two sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science and any other Science subjects. Also credit in Agricultural Science must be backed up with at least a pass in Biology.
- UNICAL requires credit pass in Physics.
- FUTMINNA accepts any one of Physics, geography, Economics, Home Economics, Food and nutrition as the fifth subject. At least a pass in Physics is required.
- FUAM requires five credit passes in Biology or Agriculture Science, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Language, Physics or any other Science subjects. Accepts a pass in Physics.
- UNAAB requires:
a) Credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
b) At least a pass in Physics.
c) Candidates with pass grade in Biology must possess credit pass in Agricultural Science. It does not accept Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
- To apply for Soil Science as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: Two ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and one of Zoology/Botany/Agric Science/Biology, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Geology, Economics and Health Science.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- FUTMINNA accepts OND/NCE with a minimum of credit in Agriculture or OND/NCE with TC II credit in Agriculture/Maths, Gen. Sci./Int. Sci or Agric Sc/Biology
- FUTMINNA accepts credit in OND/NCE Agriculture into 200 levels while those with HND are accepted into 300 levels.
- DELSU accept OND (Upper credit) in Agric. plus five relevant credit passes at O/level.
- IMSU Accepts ND/NCE (Double Major) or HND in Agriculture or related discipline with at least a merit pass into 200 level and HND (Upper) into 300 level.
- MOUAU accept OND/ND (Distinction/Credit), HND credit into 200 level while those with OND/ND (lower credit) NCE (Double Major) at credit/merit level in Agric are admited into 100 level. MOUAU also requires ‘A’ level pass in Chemistry and Biology/Botany/Zoology/Agricultural Science.
- MAUTECH accepts:
1) Two HSC or GCE `A’ Level credit passes in Chemistry, and Biology.
2) OND with credit passes in Biology/Agricultural Science and Chemistry.
3) ND/HND with credit in Biology/Agric Science.
- RSUST requires HSC/GCE A’ level passes in Chemistry and Biology including English Language, ND/UD (upper credit) in Biology or Agricultural Science for admission to 200 level or HND (credit) in Biology or Agricultural Science for admission to 200 or 300 levels respectively in addition to UTME requirement.
- FUTO requires at least two A’ level passes not
below Grade C in Chemistry and any one of
Zoology, Botany, Agricultural Science, Biology, Mathematics, Physics and Economics. It also accepts Upper Credit OND/HND in Agricultural Science but does not accept First Degree and NCE. Candidates must in addition meet the UTME O’ level requirements.
- UNIBEN accepts Merit in ND (Upper credit)/HND (Lower credit) in any one of Agric- Economics, Agricultural Extention., and Cooperatives, Fisheries, Forestry and Wildlife Mgt., Geology, Advanced Microbiology, Food and Brewing Sc., Science Lab. Tech. plus UTME requirements. NCE in Agric. Science, Biology, Chemistry or Physics (overall merit pass) plus UTME requirements. Does not accept ‘A’ level pass in Health Science.
- OAU does not accept Geography, Geology and Health Science and accepts HND/OND in Agriculture obtained at upper credit level from recognized Institution.
- JABU accepts two ‘A’ levels in Chemistry, Biology/Agric. Sci and any other from Physics, Economics and Mathematics. OND/NCE Upper credit in relevant areas.
- UNICAL accepts HND, ND/NCE (credit level) pass in Agriculture and related sciences.
- FUAM accepts:
1) Two `A” level passes in any of Chemistry and Biology/Agricultural Science/Botany/Zoology or Mathematics, (Pure and Applied) Physics, Geology and Economics).
2) NCE/OND/HND (Credit/Merit) in Agriculture.
- UNAAB accepts:
1) Two A’ level credit passes in Chemistry and one of Zoology/Botany/Agricultural Science/Biology, Mathematics or Physics.
2) ND/HND (Upper credit) in Agriculture from a recognized institution in any one of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension, Fisheries, Forestry and Wildlife Management, Agricultural Technology plus UTME requirements.
- EBSU accepts NCE with minimum Merit passes in relevant fields OR HND and OND with minimum of Upper credits in relevant fields.
You may confirm the above information on jamb subject combination for Soil Science on the official Jamb Website
Benefits of Studying Soil Science in Nigeria Tertiary Institutions;
There are several benefits of studying Soil Science. First, the fact that you studied in Nigeria will not limit your chance of securing employment abroad. But before I give further explanation on that, Let me notify you that Soil Science as a course in the country can be currently studied in any of the Nigeria universities that offer the course; no polytechnic school in Nigeria is offering the course yet. As a polytechnic student, for now, the only way you could get admission into a university that offer Soil Science for now is through Direct Entry means. I want to believe you are cleared enough as detailed explanation had already been given through the information above concerning admission requirements.
You may also decide to go for a postgraduate course in this field after you have completed your first degree.
Having a postgraduate certificate in the area of Soil Science will improve your chances of becoming more skillful and knowledgeable in this profession, if you eventually work with organizations, having obtained a pgd will also allow you to be given more priority in position at your work place beyond those that have just first degree alone.
Your role as a Soil Scientist in Nigeria;
Let me quickly draw your attention to the fact that before you could be recognized as a soil scientist, you must have graduated from the university and obtained at least Bachelor of Science (Bsc) degree in Crop science, Soil Science, or any other related fields. Meanwhile your functions are as follows;
- As a Soil Scientist, you are to professionally interpret and evaluate soils and soil-related data for the purpose of understanding soil resources as they react to the environment.
- You are to make evaluation and judgments to the use of soil resources
- You are to manage soils basically for land enhancement such as site restoration, mine reclamation and landscape design.
- You are to manage Soils for Agricultural purposes, forest products and erosion control
- You are to investigate and assess environmental hazards, including hazardous waste sites which involve soil investigation techniques, transportation events and evaluation of chemical fates.
I want to believe this article on the jamb subject combination for Soil Science in Nigeria will be of help to you and someone out there.
Please share using the below share buttons